Trowbridge banner

Work and travel abroad with International Experience Canada

If you are a Canadian Youth or if you have a child that is a Canadian citizen aged 18-35,  even if you currently live abroad, International Experience Canada (IEC) offers you the opportunity to work and travel abroad. IEC provides you a path to a work permit or visa to work and explore in one of over 30 countries and territories.


By taking part in IEC you:

  • gain valuable international work experience and take your career to the next level
  • develop life-long connections and help strengthen Canada’s place in the global work force
  • experience the world while you work to discover your strengths and find your inspiration

Canada has agreements with over 30 countries and foreign territories to make it easier for Canadian youth to work and travel abroad. Our agreements are reciprocal. This means it’s also easier for youth from these countries and territories to work and travel in Canada.

In general, you need to have a work permit to legally work abroad. To get a work permit to work outside of Canada, you have to apply to that particular country or territory.

Under IEC’s agreements, work permits are generally:

  • easier to get
  • flexible
  • less expensive
  • processed more quickly than other types of work permits

Depending on the country or territory, you may be able to work and travel abroad for up to two years.

Plan your trip

IEC gives you the opportunity to work and travel abroad but it’s up to you to make it happen.

Once you’ve decided where you want to go and work, it’s time to apply for a work permit, find a job, and plan your trip.

Find out how to get started now!

Tip: Can’t find “International Experience Canada” or IEC in the country or territory you want to visit? This is what it’s called in Canada, but our partner countries and territories may call it by a different name. Try looking under ‘youth mobility’ or ‘working holiday’

  • program
  • agreement or
  • visa

Book Your Trip Here

Corporate Members